Recipe by dojemi
Another great recipe from Giada De Laurentiis. There is an additional (inactive) prep time of 2 hours to let the chicken soak in the lemon mixture.
Top Review by m_peaches07
This recipe turned out to be outstanding. It's a flavorful twist on classic southern fried chicken. I used a traditional batter to fry my chicken by dipping the chicken in an egg wash before dredging with flour. The result was a crispy outside and juicy, tasty inside.
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 to3 lemons, depending on size)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole frying chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups olive oil (approximate amount)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (approximate amount)
- lemon wedge, for garnish
- 6 sprigs fresh Italian parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large casserole dish, whisk the lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, and salt to blend.
- Add the chicken pieces and turn to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 1 day, turning the chicken pieces occasionally.
- In a large cast iron frying pan or other heavy frying pan, add enough oil to come 1/3-inch up the sides of the pan.
- Heat the oil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, drain the marinade from the chicken.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Working in 2 batches, dredge the chicken in the flour to coat completely. Shake off the excess flour and then carefully add the chicken to the hot oil.
- Fry until the chicken is golden brown and just cooked through, turning occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a paper towel-lined plate to drain the excess oil.
- Arrange the fried chicken on a warm platter and serve with the lemon wedges and parsley.