Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
The name of this dish translates to mean Chicken cooked in a Red Chile stew. It is very flavorful and a great comfort food dish!
- 1 whole chicken (cut up)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 3 avocado leaves
- 3 mint leaves (santa leaves known in Spanish as hoja santa which is a dry leaf that is found in Latin markets, subs)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tomatoes
- 8 guajillo chilies
- 1 ancho chili
- 6 arbol chiles
- 1⁄4 small white onion
- 3 cups water
- Place the tomatoes, chilies, and onion in a sauce pan with 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- In a large soup pot heat your oil on medium high heat and saute the chicken and minced garlic until no longer pink.
- Add the cloves, peppercorns, cumin seed, oregano, avocado leaves, and hoja santa or mint into a blender with 1/4 cup water and blend on high for 3 minutes.
- Once the chicken is sauteed well and no pink appears pour the blended spice mix into the chicken and stir to coat well.
- In the same blender add the tomatoes, chilies, 1 cup of the liquid, and onion in the blender and blend for 2 minutes.
- Pour the chilie in with the chicken, add salt to taste, and stir to combine. Cover the chicken and cook for 20 minutes on medium low heat stirring occasionally to prevent the chicken from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve with rice, beans, and tortillas and enjoy!