Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A good basic bread from Eastern Europe. From AllRecipes.
- 5 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups lukewarm water, divided
- 1 quart whole milk, scalded
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 7 teaspoons salt
- 10 whole eggs, room temperature
- 5 lbs bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups superfine sugar
- Dissolve yeast packages in 1 cup of warm water. Rinse and dry a small saucepan to prevent milk from scorching and sticking when scalded. Bring milk to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and add remaining 1 cup warm water, butter, and salt; stir to blend. Once cooled to lukewarm, stir in dissolved yeast.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Gradually stir eggs into milk mixture. Once blended, add flour gradually until few or no lumps remain. Divide dough in half, and let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Once risen, turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and divide into 6 equal portions. (Dough will be very sticky and soft at this point.) Divide each portion into 3 pieces; braid together, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until hollow-sounding when tapped on top. Let cool, and enjoy!