Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From my Pol Martin Cookbook. A chocolaty pastry cream that is great for filling donuts (chocolate eclairs) or to just dress-up a dessert. Enjoy
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 5 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 pinch salt
- Place chocolate in stainless steel bowl. set bowl over saucepan half-filled with simmering water. check that bottom of bowl does NOT touch water. adjust heat to low and let chocolate melt without stirring. when melted remove bowl from pan and let stand on counter.
- meanwhile, pour milk, vanilla and salt in a heavy bottomed saucepan. bring to boiling point, then remove from heat.
- place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. beat with electric hand mixer until well incorporated and color changes pale yellow. add flour and incorporate with wooden spoon.
- pour in half of hot milk and mix quickly to incorporate. return saucepan containing remaining milk to stove over low heat. pour egg mixture from bowl into saucepan, whisking to incorporate.
- cook cream over low heat until it becomes very thick (about 5 to 6 minutes) whisking constantly. use wooden spoon to scrape out corners of pan.
- turn off heat. whisk in melted chocolate, then butter. transfer cream to bowl. cover with sheet of waxed paper touching surface. lift up ONE corner of paper to create an air space.
- let cream cool completely at room temperature before refrigerating.