1/14 Photos of Poached Salmon Swimming on Fennel With Saffron and Clams
This recipe does have a lot of yummy juice (Hence the name) so sure you have lots of bread to soak up the delish broth. Or use the broth to make rice. I idea of this is to cook it in liquid so it stays moist. Poaching a fish means cooking it in a flavoured liquid at temperatures of 160 to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. This is a moist heat method. Poaching cooks a fish gently at low temperatures, because it has hot liquid it cooks quickly and retains maximum flavour and moisture. Poached fish can be served either hot or cold. Fish to be served hot is usually poached in fish stock with spices and white wine. This liquid may then become the body of a sauce to be served with the fish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 lbs salmon fillets, seasoned with
- salt & pepper
- 1 -2 stalk fennel, whites sliced & greens for garnish (You can use a onion fennel mixture)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried saffron, crushed
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can of rienzi white clam sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1Saute Fennel and Garlic in olive oil for 8-10 minutes till tender and lightly golden.
- 2Add saffron and toss to release the beautiful yellow color and aroma.
- 3Add clam juice, wine, and clam juice for can clam sauce bring to simmer.
- 4Place fillet on top of fennel mixture and spoon some of the mixture on top and cover pan.
- 5Simmer low heat a barely simmer for 10 minutes. Less time if very thin fillets.
- 6Add white clam sauce heat 2 minutes.
- 7Adjust seasoning.
- 8Garnish with the fronds of the fennel and serve over mashed potatoes, rice or pasta with lots of crisp bread to soak up the juice.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poached Salmon Swimming on Fennel With Saffron and Clams
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.7
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 78.8 mg
- Sodium 260.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 31.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white clam sauce