Recipe by CountryLady
A mellow aromatic dessert with a delicious ginger ice cream! A good recipe to make the day before company's coming & assemble at the last minute. Refrigeration time is not included.
Top Review by Oenophilly
Very lovely presentation, and pretty straight-forward to prepare. I ended up poaching the pears for 45 minutes instead of 30, but they still turned out too hard on the inside when we sat down to eat them. The ginger ice cream was wonderful - i think that I will start making ginger a regular topping.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sweet dessert wine
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 cinnamon stick, 4-inch long
- 4 medium pears, peeled,stem left on
GINGER ICE CREAM
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- PEARS: Combine first 4 ingredients in medium saucepan; heat& stir over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Add pears& bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover& cook for about 30 minutes, turning pears several times, until they are tender.
- Remove pears from poaching liquid to medium sized bowl.
- Remove& discard cinnamon stick from poaching liquid; boil liquid for about 10 minutes, without stirring, until slightly thickened.
- Pour over pears; cool, cover& chill overnight or for at least 8 hours, turning pears occasionally.
- ICE CREAM: Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper.
- Combine almonds, maple syrup& cinnamon in a small bowl and place on prepared baking sheet; cook in preheated 375F oven for about 10 minutes, stirring once, until almonds are golden.
- Cool& chop.
- Put ice cream, ginger& almond mixture into a separate medium bowl& mix well.
- Cover& freeze overnight or at least 8 hours until firm.
- ASSEMBLY: About 30 minutes before serving, remove pears& their liquid from the refrigerator.
- Just before serving, place pears into serving dishes, divide& drizzle poaching liquid over pears and place 2 scoops of ice cream beside each pear.