Recipe by Swan Valley Tammi
Who says shortbread has to be sweet and only available at Christmas? These little appetizers from Company's Coming Gifts from the Kitchen have the same melt-in-your-mouth texture as your favourite holiday cookies, but a "mellow, buttery flavour with a hint of an Italian taste" that make them great for parties and gatherings any time of year.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup hard margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pimiento, finely chopped (or red pepper)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- paprika, sprinkle (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix until dough can be kneaded into a ball.
- Shape into 2 rolls about 1-1/2 inches in diameter.
- Cut into 1/4-inch slices and arrange on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with paprika, if desired, and bake at 375F for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.