Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
We used to be able to buy these from a local bakery, but I can't find them anymore. My daughter was going into withdrawal, so I came up with these. They are great to store in the freezer...nuke them for a couple minutes and you have a quick snack or lunch! (Rising time included in prep time)
- 1 lb pizza dough (homemade or store bought)
- 1⁄4 cup pizza sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 4 ounces provolone cheese (1 oz. slices, or you could use mozzarella)
- oregano or italian seasoning
- Divide pizza dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a rope, 18-24" long.
- If you must use flour, use sparingly.
- Form each rope into a pretzel, pressing the ends of the rope into the dough so it doesn't untwist.
- Place on sprayed or greased baking sheet, leaving space around each pretzel.
- Cover and let rise until almost double, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Gently spread about 1 tbl of pizza sauce onto each pretzel, allowing some of the sauce down into the holes which have probably mostly closed up.
- Sprinkle with oregano if desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until bottoms are a darker golden.
- Immediately place a slice of provolone onto each pretzel.
- At this point, I allow them to cool, pack each one in a baggie and then refrigerate or freeze.
- From the fridge, you'll probably need about 1 minute in the microwave; from the freezer, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- To enjoy right away: turn oven off and place pan back in until cheese starts to melt.
I made these for lunch today and my family and I loved them (especially my daughter). I used a 1 lb. bag of Trader Joe's pizza dough and Pastorelli pizza sauce. Sprinkled the sauce with a little Italian blend seasoning. Mine took about 8 minutes longer to bake but I think that's because my prezel twisting skills are a bit amateurish and my prezels ended up looking like baseballs. With a little practice, I think I can get these a bit flatter. They were very delicious, baseballs or not! Thanks for this recipe Karen, my daughter took 2 of them back to her dorm with her!