Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe from an OAMC cookbook. I made them during one of my cooking days with intentions to freeze them and have them on hand for my two teenagers when they wanted something quick. Before I could get them all put in the bags, my son and two of his friends came in and ate them! I started again and made 8 more to freeze. Came home from work two days later and they were gone! I think that speaks for itself...lol.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 loaves French bread, split down center and each cut into 4 pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) jarprocess cheese sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom pieces (optional)
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 (4 ounce) cansliced jalapenos (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In skillet, cook beef until no longer pink. Drain. Stir in garlic powder and salt.
- Place each bread on a heavy duty foil piece. This will be used to wrap after assembling.
- Spread bread with cheese sauce. Top with beef mix, mushrooms, onions, jallepenos. Drizzle with pizza sauce. Top with parm and mozz cheeses.
- Wrap and freeze up to 3 months.
- To Bake: Unwrap loaves and place on baking sheet at 350 for 25 minutes. (You could also thaw these in fridge first and then bake for 18 minutes, but my teenagers won't allow time for this).
I left off the meat and toasted the loaves plain, before adding any toppings, so they would be crisper. I then put a thin layer of premade pizza sauce on top, adding mozzarella, cheddar, and banana peppers for my toppings. I baked one immediately and ate it -- so yummy!! The others I froze as directed. Such a quick way to make a fulfilling meal. Thank you!
Yuuuummmy! I made a few changes to this, but by and large, it was a MASSIVE hit with my family. I omitted the peppers, onions, mushrooms and parm cheese to make it a little more basic for my young chidren, and increased the garlic powder and added onion powder. I aso used a littl tomato paste mixed in with the burger instead of the tomato sauce, because mine disappeared. RAVE reviews from everyone here, this on is going in the rotation. Thanks for sharig this! I'm ot surprised you can't keep this in the freezer - I doubt I'll be able to either. :D