Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
So easy and yummy. Kid and hubby pleasing comfort food in minutes! Faster even than making pizza or waiting for delivery! Makes a great appetizer or even a very satisfying meal! Make as healthy- or unhealthy- as you like! Add anything to the sauce - meat, veggie, etc... Very versatile and quick! We love to make it spicy by adding dried hot pepper flakes, jalapenos, green chilis or cayenne etc... World Tour Italy and Mexico/Tex/Mex/SW This can obviously be adjusted to be Italian or Tex/Mex by the additions used. FUNDIDO (melted cheese) is a popular appetizer in Tx/Mx cooking. To keep this more 'traditional' Mexican use Mexican oregano instead of Italian seasoning and Mexican cheeses like pepper jack or queso quesadilla and bolillos- Mexican crusty rolls. You could even add some cooked chorizo. To make it Italian- use the Italian seasoning and add any 'pizza' type toppings you like.
- 8 ounces pizza sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, more to taste is ok too
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded or 2 cups monterey jack cheese or 2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 loaf French bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bread into cubes or strips and broil until browned and toasty.
- Spray a casserole or pie pan with cooking spray.
- Pour pizza sauce into pan and add seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Add any 'pizza toppings' you like at this point. See *Note.
- Top with cheeses.
- Place dish on bottom rack to cook while bread is browning or microwave until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Place under broiler to brown cheese if desired.
- Dip toasted bread into pan just like fondue! Kids have a blast doing this! Or spoon sauce on plate and dip.
- Note: Add anything you like to the sauce: chorizo, hamburger, pepperoni, veggies etc.