Recipe by looneytunesfan
The crisp wrappers and flavorful pizza filling make these taste so good.
Top Review by Retro Kali
These were great! We subbed a lot: pepperoni for the sausage, red pepper for the green, and wonton wrappers for the egg roll wrappers. We also added black olives, and used sour cream for dipping. YUM!
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 3⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 13 egg roll wraps
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer 10 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; cool for 20 minutes.
- Stir in cheese.
- Place 1/3 cup sausage mixture in the center of each egg roll wrapper.
- Fold bottom corner over filling; fold sides toward center over filling. Brush remaining corner with egg; roll up tightly to seal.
- In an electric skillet or a deep fryer, heat 1 inch of oil to 375*.
- Fry egg rolls in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.