Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I use white flour in this recipe. It can be made with whole wheat flour instead if you prefer. Makes 3 8 inch pitas, with a few extra smaller pieces which are great for snacking.
- Combine water and yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Add honey, olive oil and salt.
- Add flour.
- (If flour does not completely dampen, add small amounts of water, sparingly, until all the flour is damp).
- Turn out onto a very lightly floured board and knead thoroughly for 5 minutes until dough is extremely elastic.
- Sprinkle a tiny amount of olive oil in a large bowl, then roll the dough in it until the dough is covered with the oil.
- Leave the dough in the bowl, cover with cloth and let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Punch the dough down and knead again for a few seconds.
- Roll the dough out with a rolling pin to a thickness of 1/4 inch.
- Using something round, such as a 6 or 8 inch Tupperware lid, press into dough and cut around.
- Lift out and onto a slightly oiled baking sheet, an insulated one works best.
- Bake the loaves for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Break apart the extra dough into small pieces.
- Bake them for 5 minutes.