1 hr 15 mins
Jimijoe 43's Note:
I use white flour in this recipe. It can be made with whole wheat flour instead if you prefer. Makes 3 8 inch pitas, with a few extra smaller pieces which are great for snacking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine water and yeast in a mixing bowl.
- 2Add honey, olive oil and salt.
- 3Add flour.
- 4(If flour does not completely dampen, add small amounts of water, sparingly, until all the flour is damp).
- 5Turn out onto a very lightly floured board and knead thoroughly for 5 minutes until dough is extremely elastic.
- 6Sprinkle a tiny amount of olive oil in a large bowl, then roll the dough in it until the dough is covered with the oil.
- 7Leave the dough in the bowl, cover with cloth and let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- 8Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 9Punch the dough down and knead again for a few seconds.
- 10Roll the dough out with a rolling pin to a thickness of 1/4 inch.
- 11Using something round, such as a 6 or 8 inch Tupperware lid, press into dough and cut around.
- 12Lift out and onto a slightly oiled baking sheet, an insulated one works best.
- 13Bake the loaves for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.
- 14Break apart the extra dough into small pieces.
- 15Bake them for 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pita Bread
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 534.8
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 393.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 12.4 g