1/2 Photos of Pink Sauce With Sausage and Pine Nuts over Penne
Susie D's Note:
This recipe was submitted for RSC 2003 -- I found it in the recipes needing a home and adopted it because it was an entry in RSC #3. The chef who created the recipe wrote... "A fabulous Italian recipe I invented for "Ready Set Cook". The Pine Nuts are a great addition. This is perfect for a weekend dinner when you feel like cooking a good part of the day."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb penne pasta, barilla brand
- 1 1/3 lbs pork sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces pine nuts, toasted (directions below)
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted and chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 dry red wine
- 1/8 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped (about 9 pieces)
- 1 cup light cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (ONLY USE FRESH!!!)
- 1In a large deep fry/saute pan, add 1/4 cup water and sausage.
- 2Cook till just cooked through.
- 3Water will start to evaporate.
- 4When cooked through, remove from pan one at a time and cut into bite sized pieces.
- 5Return sausage to pan to brown them.
- 6When sausage AND pan are brown, move sausage to paper towels and set aside.
- 7Add 1/4 cup more water to pan and stir up all the brown.
- 8Simmer sauce on low from now on.
- 9While doing that, in a small saute pan, heat oil and saute garlic for about 3 minutes, add to browned water.
- 10Add also sausage, wine, tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- 11While this is simmering roast the peppers: Pre heat oven to BROIL.
- 12Cut each pepper in half longways, scoop out middle, place on olive oil coated cookie sheet face down and brush skins with olive oil.
- 13Broil for 10 minutes or until skin is black.
- 14Remove, cool, peel skin, chop them up.
- 15Add peppers to sauce.
- 16Start boiling water for Penne.
- 17Chop up sun dried tomatoes and add to sauce.
- 18Now start chopping basil.
- 19I find it easiest to use kitchen shears.
- 20Set basil aside.
- 21Toast pine nuts: In a small DRY fry pan, add pine nuts, toast on medium heat till browned.
- 22Remove from pan, put in small bowl for serving.
- 23Add Penne to water, hopefully it is boiling now.
- 245 minutes after adding Penne to water, add basil and cream to sauce, stirring constantly.
- 25Heat only for 5 more minutes.
- 26Penne and sauce will be done at the same time.
- 27Spoon sauce& sausage over Penne and sprinkle pine nuts on top.
- 28Serve with garlic bread and salad.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pink Sauce With Sausage and Pine Nuts over Penne
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 894.2
- Calories from Fat 486
- Total Fat 54.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 99.0 mg
- Sodium 1411.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.9 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 27.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dry red wine