1/2 Photos of Pink Sauce With Sausage and Pine Nuts over Penne
Susie D's Note:
This recipe was submitted for RSC 2003 -- I found it in the recipes needing a home and adopted it because it was an entry in RSC #3. The chef who created the recipe wrote... "A fabulous Italian recipe I invented for "Ready Set Cook". The Pine Nuts are a great addition. This is perfect for a weekend dinner when you feel like cooking a good part of the day."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb penne pasta, barilla brand
- 1 1/3 lbs pork sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces pine nuts, toasted (directions below)
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted and chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 dry red wine
- 1/8 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped (about 9 pieces)
- 1 cup light cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (ONLY USE FRESH!!!)
- 1In a large deep fry/saute pan, add 1/4 cup water and sausage.
- 2Cook till just cooked through.
- 3Water will start to evaporate.
- 4When cooked through, remove from pan one at a time and cut into bite sized pieces.
- 5Return sausage to pan to brown them.
- 6When sausage AND pan are brown, move sausage to paper towels and set aside.
- 7Add 1/4 cup more water to pan and stir up all the brown.
- 8Simmer sauce on low from now on.
- 9While doing that, in a small saute pan, heat oil and saute garlic for about 3 minutes, add to browned water.
- 10Add also sausage, wine, tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- 11While this is simmering roast the peppers: Pre heat oven to BROIL.
- 12Cut each pepper in half longways, scoop out middle, place on olive oil coated cookie sheet face down and brush skins with olive oil.
- 13Broil for 10 minutes or until skin is black.
- 14Remove, cool, peel skin, chop them up.
- 15Add peppers to sauce.
- 16Start boiling water for Penne.
- 17Chop up sun dried tomatoes and add to sauce.
- 18Now start chopping basil.
- 19I find it easiest to use kitchen shears.
- 20Set basil aside.
- 21Toast pine nuts: In a small DRY fry pan, add pine nuts, toast on medium heat till browned.
- 22Remove from pan, put in small bowl for serving.
- 23Add Penne to water, hopefully it is boiling now.
- 245 minutes after adding Penne to water, add basil and cream to sauce, stirring constantly.
- 25Heat only for 5 more minutes.
- 26Penne and sauce will be done at the same time.
- 27Spoon sauce& sausage over Penne and sprinkle pine nuts on top.
- 28Serve with garlic bread and salad.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pink Sauce With Sausage and Pine Nuts over Penne
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 894.2
- Calories from Fat 486
- Total Fat 54.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 99.0 mg
- Sodium 1411.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.9 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 27.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dry red wine