Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is another way to serve French toast that makes it special enough for birthday mornings or other special occasions. Enjoy it anytime!
- 2 (8 ounce) cans pineapple slices, packed in fruit juice, drained and 1/4 cup liquid reserved
- 4 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 -8 slices day-old French bread (3/4-inch thick)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a rimmed 9X13 cookie sheet (or baking dish) sprayed with cooking spray, evenly arrange pineapple slices.
- (I have also coated the pan with butter) Place 1/2 cherry in center of each ring.
- Evenly sprinkle the brown sugar over the pineapple slices.
- In a shallow bowl, combine milk, pineapple juice, eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
- Dip bread slices into mixture, coating both sides.
- Evenly place bread slices onto the pineapple.
- Evenly pour any remaining milk mixture over the bread.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Made this recipe for my son and he loved it. Made 1/2 a recipe and melted about 2 TBL of butter for the bottome of the dish. Next time I make, will not pour remaining egg/milk mixture over top. Thanks for posting.
This is a really nice twist on classic french toast. The only change I made was to use Whole Wheat bread and skim milk.
this is a wonderful idea- I made it this morning for father's day. However (and I realize I may have made an error) pouring the remaining milk mixture over the bread made it soggy and not very appetizing. The blend of flavors was good though.