Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Even though it's made with a mix, one of the best pineapple upside-down cakes I've eaten.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices in juice, drain and reserve juice
- 1 (6 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- oil, and
- egg, as called for in cake mix directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt margarine and put in a 13 x 9 inch pan. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted margarine. Arrange pineapple and maraschino cherries over top, press gently into margarine and brown sugar. Take reserved pineapple juice, add enough water to it to make 1 1/4 cups. Make cake batter as directed on package, except use pineapple juice mixture instead of the water. Pour batter over pineapple and cherries. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Immediately turn the pan upside down onto a heatproof plate. Leave pan over cake for one minute. Serve warm or cool.
Fast, easy, and stayed moist!
I know it's lazy but it still tastes great!!
I love upside down cake & this was a fast, easy recipe. I added pecans to the topping, which was a good addition. I think the next time I make this (yes, there will be a next time) I will use pineapple tidbits instead of rings. That way the pineapple will be more evenly distributed and easier to cut & eat. Made for My3Chefs, Nov'09.