Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Ok, so this may be one of the coolest looking things you'll make in a flash. That and the combo of all the exotic fruits are just heavenly, especially with the dressing... I am asked every summer party and even a few Winter Luau's to make this boat. I have to say that this is easiest thing I have made and the taste is just so exotic. Beware you may want to double it and bring an extra bag of "filler" for your boat... this goes fast!
- 1 pineapple
- 1 pint fresh sliced strawberry
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 2 kiwi fruits, peeled and sliced
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges (reserve juice)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 lime, juice of
- coconut flakes
- fresh mint leaves
- Cut pineapple in half lengthwise.
- Reserving the hard spiny shell (this is your "boat"), carve out the insides from one side and remove the outer shell from the other.
- Dice pineapple and discard hard core that runs through the center of pineapple.
- Combine pineapple, strawberries, bananas, kiwi and mandarin oranges together in a large bowl.
- To make dressing combine juice drained from mandarin oranges, about one half cup, honey and lime juice together, shake well.
- Pour over fruit and toss.
- Place in pineapple shells and sprinkle with coconut and garnish with mint leaves.
- Want it "Skinny"? Leave out the coconut flakes, which are actually pretty high in fat.
- Picnicking or bringing this to a party? Zippie Bag all the fruit in one bag and Zippie the Pineapple "Boat" in another (wrap the bagged boat in newspaper as the sides of the boat may pierce the bag).