Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a lightly almondy pineapple fruit cake. We have had this in the family archeives since 1953, given to us by a neighbour Cecila Sweet. She was sweet enough to share this fav.
- 6 candied pineapple, rings
- 1⁄2 cup drained green maraschino cherry
- 1⁄2 cup drained red maraschino cherry
- 1 lb golden raisin
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained (use juice)
- Chop drained cherries in half.
- Chop the candied pineapple rings into pieces.
- Add the raisins, cherries, and pinapple in a bowl, dust with a tablespoon of the flour.
- Cream room temp.
- butter and white sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the two beaten eggs.
- Stir in the sifted dry ingredients.
- Stir in the extracts.
- Stir in the can of undrained pineapple.
- Stir in the fruits.
- Pour into a greased and floured tube pan.
- Let sit covered overnite on the kitchen counter.
- Bake next morning.
- Bake at 300 degrees F.
- for 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours.
- Tester will come away clean.
- Wrap in foil then in saran wrap when cooled thoroughly.
- Keep 4 weeks before cutting.
- Note can add more drained cherries and candied pinepple only if desired but not too much.
- This cake has no nuts, which is why I think it a favourite among the older generation!