Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
It simply wouldn't be holidays in our family without this wonderful dessert. Cool and creamy, it looks beautiful drizzled with the simply raspberry sauce.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package pineapple cake mix
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, salt-free, for garnish
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- Prepare cake mix as directed, except substitute egg whites for eggs and butter for oil. Bake in a 9x13 inch pan as directed. Pour pineapple over cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine cornstarch and remaining water; add raspberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon and pineapple juice. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- To make the frosting: Prepare instant pudding as directed. Add lemon juice and fold in whipped topping. Let sit 10 minutes. Spread over cake and top with raspberry sauce. Garnish with almonds if desired.
Very, very nice! Made for a neighbor who loves pineapple cake, as do I, & I managed to get a piece of it (for taste-testing only, of course!), & this is GREAT! Can think of other things, as well, for this raspberry sauce! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's Pick-A-Chef]