Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Try this easy and tasty sausage roll for your next picnic. Serve slices with your favourite relish or chutney.
- 1 medium french breadstick (baguette)
- 250 g topside mince (extra lean ground beef)
- 250 g sausage meat
- 40 g French onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 small capsicum, finely diced
- 2 spring onions, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, for glazing
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / 375°F.
- Cut a slit along the top of the loaf.
- Pull out the soft dough in the centre to make a cavity for the meat.
- Mix the filling ingredients together and press firmly into the loaf.
- Brush the outside of the loaf with the melted butter then wrap firmly in foil.
- Cook for approximately 45 minutes or until the meat is cooked.
- Slice diagonally to serve.
Easy peasy & very tasty
This is good. I like marinara sauce.
This was an ACE recipe - Malcolm (my husband) and I LOVED it, and it worked! I was VERY sceptical about baking the filling in a baguette for so long - I thought that the bread would go too brown, NOT at all! The filling was full of flavour and the bread held it all together (as you can see in the photos) like a low-fat pastry casing. I can see hundreds of possibilities for other fillings; my parents are vegetarian and I may concoct a veggie filling for them. This is a great find, and a recipe that I am hanging on to - I am making another one this weekend for a picnic we are going on! I left the roll to go cold and sliced on the angle as suggested, the bread was soft but with bite......just perfect. We ate the slices with my home-made Recipe #228772 and fresh salad leaves.......just brilliant, I can't thank you enough for posting this recipe Tisme! Made for Make my Recipe #8 in the Aus/NZ forum. FT:-)