Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Discover the delights of home-made preserves with this simple recipe for pickled pumpkin, delicious served with cold meat.
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces superfine sugar
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 11 black peppercorns
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 allspice berries
- 1⁄2 dried red chili
- 1 1⁄2 lbs whole pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and chopped into cubes
- Place the vinegar, water and sugar in a large saucepan. Cook, stirring, over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the cinnamon, peppercorns, salt, allspice berries and chili and bring to the boil.
- Add the pumpkin flesh and bring to the boil once more.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the pumpkin gently until cooked through, around 30 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon place the pumpkin in warm, sterile jars, dividing the spices evenly.
- Bring the remaining cooking liquor to the boil and cook briskly until reduced and thickened into a syrup.
- Pour the syrup over the pumpkin, allow to cool and seal.