Prep 168 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Pickled ginger is served with sushi. Try to eat pieces of pickled ginger between different kinds of sushi. It helps to clean your mouth and enhance the flavors.
- Peel the ginger root.
- Cut the ginger into medium-sized pieces and salt it.
- Leave the ginger in a bowl for 30 minutes.
- Put the ginger into a jar.
- Mix rice vinegar and sugar in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Pour the hot mixture of vinegar and sugar on the ginger.
- Cool, then cover with a lid and place in the refrigerator.
- In a week, the ginger change its color to light pink.
- Slice thinly to serve.
- The pickled ginger lasts about a month in the fridge.
This turned out to be easier than I thought and believe this is going to sit pretty with all my dinner meals as long as the bottle lasts. Too good as it compliments a typical Indian meal so well. :-))) Mini
Great recipe - couldn't wait , so I sampled a piece every day but it does need at least a week to mature. No more bought expensive pickled gingerfor me - Thanks 1Steve
You don't know how impressed I am with this recipe! It is just too easy to make and has a great extra-fresh taste you don't get with the store bought pickled ginger. I'm having sushi tonight, just as an excuse to eat this ginger!!