3 hrs 35 mins
3 hrs 15 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is from a cooking school in Hanoi, Vietnam.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large shallots, unpeeled
- 1 piece ginger, unpeeled (4 inches)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 5 star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon (3 inches)
- 1 pod black cardamom pod, crushed
- 5 lbs beef, leg bones cut into 3 inch pieces (grass-fed beef bones preferred)
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck, trimmed cut into 4 inch x 2 inch x 1 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 6 quarts cold water
- 1/2 ounce dried scallops
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 8 scallions, green parts thinly sliced white parts left whole
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 serrano chilies, stemmed thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 lbs small flat rice noodles
- 8 ounces beef sirloin, cut across grain into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced soaked in cold water for 30 minutes
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaf
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Arrange a rack 4 inches from broiler and heat. Put shallots and ginger on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and broil, turning often, until blackened (15–20 minutes) and let cool.
- 2Scrape peels off shallots and ginger. Halve ginger lengthwise, press each piece with the side of a knife to flatten, and set aside with shallots.
- 3Heat fennel seeds, star anise, cinnamon, and cardamom in a small skillet over medium heat and toast, swirling pan, until fragrant (3 minutes). Transfer spices to a small bowl and set aside.
- 4Place bones in a 12 qt pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse bones. Clean pot and return bones to pot along with reserved shallots and ginger, beef and cold water.
- 5Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and add reserved toasted spices, scallops and 2 tbsp salt. Cook, skimming surface, until beef is tender (1 1/2 hours).
- 6Using tongs, transfer beef to a bowl of ice water and cool for 10 minutes. Drain beef and thinly slice crosswise. Transfer to a plate, cover and refrigerate.
- 7Continue cooking broth for 1 1/2 hours more. Remove from heat and pour through a cheesecloth-lined fine strainer set over a clean 6 qt pot. Discard solids and skim fat from surface. Stir in fish sauce and scallion whites and keep hot.
- 8Combine vinegar and chiles in a small bowl and set aside.
- 9Pour boiling water over noodles in a medium bowl and let soak until al dente (10 minutes). Rinse noodles in cold water, drain and divide between 8 serving bowls.
- 10Top each with chilled, cooked beef and raw sirloin. Top beef with onions, then scallion greens and cilantro. Season with pepper and then ladle broth over each serving, placing one white scallion piece in each bowl.
- 11Serve with chiles on the side.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pho Bac (Northern Vietnamese Style Beef and Rice Noodle Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (1276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2523.8
- Calories from Fat 1895
- Total Fat 210.6 g
- Saturated Fat 87.5 g
- Cholesterol 358.3 mg
- Sodium 2840.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 52.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black cardamom pods