Recipe by 2ChinaGirls
A slow-cooked pot roast recipe my mother found over 40 years ago at a local grocery store. Super fast and easy to throw together and makes the house smell wonderful as it slowly simmers on the stove top. I've tried it in the crock pot and it just doesn't turn out as well!
Top Review by Darkhunter
Toooo gooood! The only change I made was to leave out the mushrooms (allergy!). The seasoning was right on the money. Thnx for sharing your recipe, 2ChinaGirls. Made for PAC Spring 2010. You've been adopted! http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
- 3 -5 lbs beef chuck roast
- salt or seasoning salt
- black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 -3 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2-1 lb button mushroom, sliced in half if small, in quarters if large
Directions See How It's Made
- Season beef to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large (5 quart covered) pot over medium to medium high heat.
- Coat bottom of pre-heated pan with olive oil.
- Sear meat well on both sides (you may need to cut the meat into smaller pices to accommodate your pan). Once the meat is seared remove to a plate.
- In a bowl or large measuring cup, mix together the tomato sauce, garlic, italian seasoning, apple juice and vinegar.
- Pour liquids into pot and deglaze, being sure to scrape up all the yummy goodness on the bottom of the pan.
- Add back the meat and also add the mushrooms.
- Lower the heat so that the liquids are at a simmer and cover the pot.
- Let simmer for 2-3 hours until the meat is falling apart.
- Serve in shallow bowls over pasta cooked al dente.