Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
for nutrition. from www.vegcooking.com
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- Combine the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the soya milk and applesauce.
- Pour into an oiled waffle iron, and cook until golden brown.
- You can turn these into pancakes by adding more liquid.
Absolutely awful. The proportion of baking powder to flour is at least four times what's necessary. There is no sweetener. There is no oil/shortening. Consequently, the only thing you taste is baking powder, and the waffles stick to even a well-greased waffle iron. Amusingly, when the iron is opened the waffle opens, too, revealing the interior. Perhaps this recipe should be renamed PITA WAFFLES. Fehh! Look elsewhere.
All I could taste in these was the baking powder.
Great waffles! My DH just found out that he has high cholesterol, so I went hunting for low cholesterol waffles to replace his frozen Eggo waffles. I made several different recipes, including Bisquick, and had him do a blind taste test. He chose these, hands down. The baking powder helped the waffles fluff up and the cinnamon added great flavor. I didn't have applesauce on hand, so I substituted 1 mashed up banana with about 1 Tb of milk.