Recipe by Ex-Pat Mama
Yummy little finger-food treats that are great to take to a party or pot luck. Omnivores won't have any idea that these tidbits are both vegan and gluten-free. The original recipe called for huge 'stuffing' mushrooms. But I prefer to use smaller ones so they can be passed around at a party and served without silverware.
- 24 mushroom caps, stems set aside to use in the stuffing mixture
- 1⁄2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup cashews, raw and unsalted
- 4 cups spinach
- 10 leaves basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT the mushroom caps into a food processor. Pulse until the pesto is combined, but still a bit chunky.
- Place a teaspoon or two of mixture into each mushroom cap. Bake for 15 minutes. I bake them on a rack in a baking pan because there is a surprising amount of liquid in a mushroom. I find they sort of stew if you bake them flat on a baking sheet.
- Either serve immediately or allow to cool to room temperature - they are delicious either way.