Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
THere seem to be several different versions of this cake. This one is used by Chef Gerard Yaxley at Qom’s restaurant in Coolum, Queensland.. This recipe will be gluten-free suitable if a gf yogurt is used
- 3 cups almond meal (360 grams)
- 1 cup raw sugar (220 grams)
- 1 cup brown sugar (220 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 120 g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 250 g Greek yogurt, plus extra to serve
- 4 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup pistachio nut, coarsely chopped (45 grams)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine almond meal, sugars, butter and salt in a bowl. Rub with your fingertips until coarse crumbs form.
- Spoon half of the mixture into a lightly buttered annd baking paper lined 26cm diameter springform pan. Gently press in to evenly cover the base of the tin.
- To the remaining 1/2 cake mixture- add the egg, yogurt and nutmeg. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy. Pour over the cake base in the tin. Smooth over the top and scatter pistachios around the edge of the cake.
- Bake until golden -approx 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- Serve at room temperature with extra Greek yogurt or cream.
- The cake will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.
I was a bit worried about this cake when I was cooking it as it seemed quite liquid even after 30 minutes in the oven but it firmed up beautifully when it cooled. Because it was for a teenager's birthday, I sprinkled icing sugar, nutmeg and grated chocolate on top and decorated it with lavender flowers. It was superb and easy to make. Thanks for posting this recipe. I must pass it on to my gluten free Mum.