Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I am a true believer of simple yet delicious food and chicken comes into that category. This is such a simple recipe but it looks and tastes delicious.
- 1 whole chicken
- 125 g butter
- olive oil
- mixed herbs (or any of your own favorite herbs)
- rock salt
- pepper (black ground)
- If chicken has giblets remove them and untie any string that might be holding the chicken together. Rinse the chicken throughout.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (gas mark 6).
- Place chicken in a roasting tin and add a little water roughly about 50ml to the bottom of the tray. This will help keep the moisture in the chicken.
- Slice the butter into 4 slices and place 2 slices underneath the skin of each of the chicken breasts. Take care not to rip the skin when doing this.
- Pour olive oil all over the chicken making sure the breast and legs are covered. Sprinkle the herbs, salt and pepper over the top.
- Place the chicken in the oven, basting regularly until cooked (time varies with size of chicken). Some juices may be trapped inside the chicken so if possible tip these out into the tray then keep cooking. Check the chicken is cooked by pushing a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh it is cooked when the juices run clear.