1 hr 15 mins
This is the best way to achieve fluffy basmati rice that I've found. From Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian Cooking. Doubles perfectly.
My Private Note
cups (a ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the rice in several changes of water & drain it.
- 2Put it in a bowl with 5 cups of water and let soak for 30 minutes.
- 3Drain it thoroughly & let it sit in the strainer for 10 minutes.
- 4Melt butter in a heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- 5Add the drained rice.
- 6Cook, stirring gently, over medium heat for about a minute, until all the grains are coated with butter.
- 7Add 2 1/2 cups (1/2 litre) water & the salt.
- 8Bring to a boil, cover, turn to very low & cook 20 minutes.
- 9Turn off the flame & leave the pot, covered for another 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Basmati Rice Method
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.1
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 493.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 7.4 g