Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the best way to achieve fluffy basmati rice that I've found. From Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian Cooking. Doubles perfectly.
- Wash the rice in several changes of water & drain it.
- Put it in a bowl with 5 cups of water and let soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain it thoroughly & let it sit in the strainer for 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add the drained rice.
- Cook, stirring gently, over medium heat for about a minute, until all the grains are coated with butter.
- Add 2 1/2 cups (1/2 litre) water & the salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover, turn to very low & cook 20 minutes.
- Turn off the flame & leave the pot, covered for another 10 minutes.