Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
about 8-9 years ago, my daughter and I overheard a fireman telling the butcher about this recipe, sounded so easy and quick, we promptly made it and it's been a favorite since. HOWEVER, my hubby doesn't care for the rice so I always make him some plain rice seperate. The best part about this recipe is you can increase or decrease it depending on your needs.
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups rice (uncooked)
- 1 -2 cup barbecue sauce (use your favorite)
- 1 -2 cup Pepsi (diet does NOT work)
- In a skillet, cook the chicken until no longer pink.
- Put the rice in a 4 quart casserole.
- Spoon the chicken over this.
- Mix equal parts BBQ sauce and Pepsi.
- I always keep plenty as depending upon how much rice you use, will need to add more.
- Pour this mixture over the rice/chicken.
- Put into oven and slow cook at 250 for 3-5 hours.
- Keep checking and ADDING MORE LIQUID as needed, otherwise the rice will not be tender.
- Make sure to stir occasionally.
- Serve with a salad and breadsticks for an easy meal.
I made this last night and the rice was still very crunchy after cooking it for 3 1/2 hrs. I used an entire 20 oz. bottle of pepsi and more than 2 cups bbq sauce and it was still way too dry to cook the rice. I have read the directions countless times trying to evaluate what I did wrong and am certain that I followed the recipe given.
This was by far the most delicious recipe I've made in a LONG time.. It was soooo good. :) I had some rice left over so I used it as a side for dinner the next night. Worked out great! Thanks a lot.