Prep 18 mins
Cook 27 mins
This is a delicious recipe from the December 2008 edition of Ladies' Home Journal. These are simple and look as great as they taste. Serve on a white platter with a red and white ribbon across the middle for a beauiful presentation.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons peppermint stick candy, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square pan and line with a strip of parchment overhanging on two sides. Butter parchment, set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter, chocolate, and cocoa on low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, eggs, flour, salt, nuts, milk and vanilla until combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake until just set, 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Top with marshmallows and bake until marshmallows are puffed, another 5 minutes. Immediately sprinkle with peppermint.
- Cool in pan. Loosen edges and lift brownies with parchment. Use a butter knife to cut into squares. Store airtight up to one day.
The crushed peppermint candy was such a nice touch for these brownies. The brownie portion was not as sweet as I would have expected, but it was still quite good. I had some difficulty cutting the pan of brownies into individual portions without the marshmallow layer pulling away. So I used two knives...one knife to cut through the brownies, and a second knife to run along the sides of the first knife to loosen the marshmallow from the knife blade. Once I did that, I didn't lose any more marshmallow layer. Thanks for sharing your recipe, xxciv. Made for Spring 2010 Pick-A-Chef.