This delicious recipe comes from the Bechtel Victorian Mansion Bed & Breakfast Inn, in East Berlin, PA
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blend first five ingredients together, and set aside one cup of this mixture as a topping base for use later.
- In separate bowl, mix the eggs, buttermilk and baking soda together.
- Then blend the remaining portion of the original crumb mixture, stirring thoroughly.
- There will be some small lumps in the batter.
- Add 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup coconut and 1 teaspoon cinnamon to the cup of original crumb topping mixture, set aside earlier.
- Pour coffee cake batter mixture into 3 greased and floured 8" cake pans.
- Sprinkle topping equally on top of batter in all 3 pans.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
- Makes 3-8" coffee cakes.
OMG, Bev, this is a wonderful crumb cake recipe...It's light as a feather and very, very tasty...An added bonus is that it makes 3-8" cakes, so had one for us, one for the kids, and one for the freezer!! This is one of your recipes that I've had the pleasure of making for our "Bev Cook-a-Thon", and, believe me, it has been my pleasure!! Thank you for posting a true winner...I'll be doing this one often!! Laudee
I made this recipe twie, and each time it required far more than 35 minutes to bake.
This caused the edge of the cake to carmelize and harden.
It has far too much sugar, and low on flavor.
I'm sorry but I don't like it.
This is one of our favorite coffee cakes and have had this or similar recipes for years. Good to see this in print and you will not be disappointed. You can use butter flavored shortening or substitute part butter which give it a nice flavor. Thanks for reminding me of such an easy and wonderful cake.