Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Gremolata is the zesty mixture of parsley, lemon and garlic that is added at the last minute to zip up osso buco. Here, it becomes the basis of a pasta sauce instead. From a now defunct health mag. Add salt if you wish; I do, although the original recipe didn't call for it.
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated fresh
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 lb penne
- Mix together parsley, lemon peel, and garlic and set aside.
- Heat half the evoo in a small saucepan; add the can of diced tomatoes, juice and all. If using dried basil, add it now.
- Simmer 10 minutes. If using fresh basil, add it now.
- Cook pasta until al dente and drain.
- Toss the pasta with the rest of the evoo.
- Add the tomato mixture and the parsley mixture and combine well.