1/1 Photo of Peking Duck
Queen Dragon Mom's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut off duck wings at second joint, remove excess fat and skin, rinse and dry well.
- 2Insert chopstick thru neck opening and force along the wing bone under the skin until it protrudes slightly at the second joint.
- 3Push other end along other wing so that you end up with a duck that has its arms straight out like a crucifix.
- 4Tie a string on to the middle so you can hold the duck and hang it up.
- 5Bring 6 cups of water to boil in a wok.
- 6Add maltose or honey and stir to dissolve.
- 7Add sherry and vinegar.
- 8Make a slurry out of the cornstarch and add to wok.
- 9When liquid returns to a boil, dip the duck into liquid and spoon liquid over duck.
- 10Repeat until duck is thoroughly moistened.
- 11Repeat dunking once more.
- 12Hang duck by string in a cool airy place with a bowl underneath to catch drips.
- 13Leave for 4-6 hours until skin is dry and taught.
- 14Put roasting pan on lower oven rack and fill with 2-3 inches of water.
- 15Oil rack above pan.
- 16Preheat oven to 350.
- 17Remove chopstick and string.
- 18Put duck on oiled rack in center of oven breast side up.
- 19Cook 30 minutes.
- 20Turn duck breast down for 45 minutes.
- 21Turn breast up for 30 minutes or until skin is dark brown.
- 22While duck is cooking make scallion brushes.
- 23Trim roots,cut off most of green part, leaving a 3 inch piece.
- 24Make several 1 inch lengthwise slits in each end of scallion, put in ice water for 20 minutes, drain and refrigerate.
- 25Carve duck and separate meat and skin.
- 26Mix hoisin with sesame oil and 1 tbl water.
- 27To serve: use scallion brushes to wipe hoisin mixture on to pancakes, add duck skin and meat and scallion, fold one end over and roll up.
Browse Our Top Whole Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peking Duck
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1633.1
- Calories from Fat 1359
- Total Fat 151.1 g
- Saturated Fat 50.3 g
- Cholesterol 288.1 mg
- Sodium 588.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 44.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: