Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
An easy and healthy alternative to store bought snack bars. Change up the variety of dried fruits for variety. We like to use a mixture of dried cherries, cranberries, blueberries, apricots, peaches, apples and mango. We like the Porridge Oats from Rogers that has oat bran, wheat bran and flaxseed in it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup dates
- 2 cups raisins
- 3 cups mixed dried fruit, pineapple, mango, papaya
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 6 teaspoons egg substitute, dissolved in 4 Tbsp water or 1 -2 egg
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed, whole
- 1 3⁄4 cups mixed nuts, unsalted
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Add vanilla to pineapple juice in a large mixing bowl and stir well.
- Chop larger dried fruit into bite sized pieces and add to juice. Stir well. Let sit for a minimum of one hour, stirring occassionly.
- Whisk together eggs (or egg replacer) and then stir in honey. Whisk well then stir into fruit mixture.
- Add flaxseed and nuts to fruit mixture. Stir well.
- Mix together, flour, oats, baking powder and spices. Stir well then add to fruit mixture in about three batches. Stirring well between additions.
- Lightly grease 12 x 15 glass baking dish. Add mixture to dish and press down well.
- Bake at 350 oven for about 40 to 45 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from pan.
- Cut into thin bars and store in airtight container.
- These can be frozen but in our house they don't last that long. Enjoy!