Recipe by Cinnamom in Illinois
This recipe sounds very labor intensive, and probably is, but it's so much fun to do with the family -- if you can keep them from eating all the Rolos! It's probably a little on the expensive side, but on the other hand, if you just use some here and there in a goodie gift box or tray, they fancy it up right nice, and go a long way. You might want to decorate with colored sugars after dipping, but the vanilla chips with the chocolate of the Rolos looks pretty neat, all by itself. Prep/cooking times are very approximate, including time for preheating, unwrapping, squishing, etc. (but not cooling time) -- if you're more coordinated than me, you'll go faster! Servings are also "fluid", depending on how many Rolos and pecans you get in the bag. (I went by the estimate given in the nutrition info on the bag).
- 1 (8 ounce) bag pecan halves
- 1 (13 ounce) bagindividually wrapped Rolo chocolates
- 1 (12 ounce) bag chocolate chips or 1 (12 ounce) bag vanilla baking chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Unwrap the Rolo candies and set aside.
- Spray a large baking sheet with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- Empty bag of pecan halves onto tray; sprinkle with a little salt if.
- you like.
- Toast just until pecans begin to brown, 5-6 minutes, and turn off.
- Working quickly, sandwich one Rolo between two pecan halves and.
- replace on cookie sheet.
- When all halves and Rolos are put together, remove extra pecan.
- halves from baking sheet if there are any left over, and put sheet back inches.
- turned-off but still-warm oven.
- Check after a couple of minutes for the caramel softening -- you.
- should be able to squish it just a little to make a nice pecan sandwich,.
- but no more. At this point, take sheet out of oven and set the baking.
- sheet aside to cool completely.
- In microwave safe bowl, melt chips on high power in 1 minute.
- intervals, stirring after each, until chocolate is smooth.
- Dip the little pecan sandwiches into the chocolate and set back on.
- the cooled baking sheet to set up, approximately 45 minutes to an hour.
- Place in small paper liner cups, if you like, (or on layers of.
- waxed paper), and store covered.
- It's like little Turtle bites -- just right when you want a little.
- something -- .