Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Rick Rodgers' Celebrations 101. You need to start making this dessert at least 8 hours before you want to serve it. You need a 3-quart trifle dish.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup pear juice (or pear nectar)
- 1⁄4 cup golden rum
- 44 dry italian ladyfingers (savoiardi)
- 4 ripe pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 3/4-inch dice (Bartlett, Anjou, or Comice)
- 1⁄2 pint fresh raspberry
- 3 1⁄2 cups eggnog
- 2⁄3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a chilled mixing bowl, whip the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla using an electric mixer on high speed until the cream is stiff.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the pear nectar and rum.
- One at a time, dip the ladyfingers into the pear nectar (do not soak) and stand them in a 3-quart trifle--you will need about 20 ladyfingers.
- Dip 8 more ladyfingers in the nectar, and break them up into the bowl.
- Top with half of the pears and raspberries and 8 more dipped and broken ladyfingers.
- Slowly pour half of the eggnog over the pear-ladyfinger layer.
- Spread with half of the whipped cream and sprinkle with 1/3 cup almonds.
- Repeat with the remaining pears and raspberries, ladyfingers (dipped and broken), and eggnog.
- Spread with the remaining whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with the remaining almonds.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries, if desired.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.