Prep 25 mins
Cook 6 mins
from The Best of Fine Cooking fresh
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, cut lengthwise into fine matchsticks
- 1⁄4 cup fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup salted peanuts, finely chopped
- 2 skinless tilapia fillets
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a 10-12 inch non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add the scallions and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are just golden, with some green still visible on the scallions, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and with a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to paper towels to drain, (leave oil in the skillet).
- Toss the ginger and scallions lightly with salt.
- Line up three wide, shallow dishes. Put the flour in the first; beat the egg in the second; put the chopped peanuts in the third.
- Season the tilapia fillets lightly with salt.
- Dredge one fillet in the flour shaking off the excess. Dip the fillet in the egg, then coat it with peanuts. Set aside on a plate.
- Repeat previous step with the second fillet.
- Reheat the oil in the skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the tilapia fillets and cook until golden on each side and the flesh is opaque and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes on each side, (reduce heat if they brown too fast).
- Put the tilapia on dinner plates, and sprinkle with pepper to taste, and top with the frizzled vegetables , and serve immediately.