My mom always had these cookies on our Xmas cookie trays. It is an absolute must every year! Everyone loves these! (I believe that Mom cut this recipe from a magazine but I don't know its origin.) The preparation time includes chilling time in the fridge.
- Soften the peanut butter by microwaving for about one minute on Power Level 3.
- In a medium bowl, cream peanut butter and butter.
- Stir in icing sugar, dates and peanuts and mix well.
- Roll the peanut butter mixture into 1" balls or whatever size you like, if dough is sticky, refrigerate for 30 minutes or so before rolling.
- Place on waxed paper lined baking trays and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Place butter and chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl and melt the chocolate at 30 second intervals until smooth (I usually do this at Power Level 6 so that it doesn't overcook).
- Dip the balls into the chocolate and place back onto the wax paper lined trays and pop into the fridge again for an hour or so.
- These freeze beautifully - I place balls into tupperware and put wax paper between the layers.
I loved them. Great easy candy/cookies. Made them for a g/f ... it's her birthday. I of course saved a few. She loved them. Made according to the recipe. I'm not a sweet person and I loved them. Nice recipe. Very good. I would make them and put them on my Christmas cookie platter easily. Thx, Kim