Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Casper Star Tribune
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter chips
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Add eggs and milk and mix.
- Combine flour, powder and add to creamed mixture and mix.
- Divide batter in half.
- To one half add peanut butter and peanut butter chips and mix
- To the other half add cocoa and chocolate chips and mix.
- In a greased 9x9 in baking pan, spoon chocolate batter in eight mounds to form a checkerboard pattern.
- Spoon seven mounds of peanut butter batter between them.
- Cut through batter with a knife to marblize.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes and cool.
This was a definite make-again recipe. Used fresh ground peanut butter and real butter plus 2 whole eggs. Very rich and delicious. My mom thought the chocolate and peanut butter together reminded her of coffee. This is a definite make-again recipe. YUM! Made for Pick a Chef Spring 2012.
The final brownies taste great but to be honest I had trouble with the dough. It was made exactly by the recipe using double Dutch dark coco and Adams PB (no added sugar or fats) and added 3/4 tsp of baking powder. The dough was so stiff and thick that there was no way it could have been swirled to mix the flavors. I had to add more milk, a tbsp at a time, until it was at least workable with 3 tbsp's more in each bowl. I do think that I could have thinned it even more as it was still difficult to swirl. Also, at 25 mins it was already over baked and hard around the edges. lastly I used an 8x8 pan and had very barely enough dough to fill it, had I used the 9x9 either there wouldn't have been enough or it wouldn't have been any more than 1/2 an inch deep at best. I love the flavors, the improved health factor and the fun that it offers however, by my experience the recipe needs a little work. Made for PAC, Spring 2011.
Although I'm not a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup fan, I do like PB & chocolate, & in this recipe your have the great taste of both! Thanks for a VERY, VERY NICE TREAT & fun to make, as well! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]