Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a variation of the classic New Orleans dessert Bananas Foster. You can use any Ice cream, Premium vanilla or butter pecan ice cream is suggested. Peaches can be made 2 hours ahead and reheated to serve over ice cream.
- 4 large ripe peaches
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dark rum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped toasted pecans, for garnish
- Have ready a large bowl of ice and cold water; Bring a 6-quart pot three-fourths full of water to a boil, then gently drop peaches gently into water and cook 15 minutes, Transfer with slotted spoon to ice water and cool completely to stop cooking.
- Remove skin with a paring knife and cut peaches into 1/2-inch thick wedges, discarding pits.
- Melt butter in a 10-to 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, then stir in brown sugar, rum, cinnamon, and salt until smooth.
- Add peaches and simmer, stirring and turning peaches over occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cool until warm and serve over scoops of ice cream. Garnish with toasted pecans.
These are very tasty and easy to make. The rum flavour is great throughout the dish but for me I prefer bananas cooked this way. I served on icecream. Thanks Barb!