Recipe by Cadillacgirl
This is so pretty! From "The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook". You can use canned peaches if you like. Posted for ZWT #6!
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
Delicious! I particularly liked the cinnamon almond crunch layer in the base -- it's a wonderful complement to the fruit filling. I had a couple of white nectarines to use up, plus a partial jar of sliced peaches, so I mixed them. They do get a bit soggy the next day if you drizzle them with the extra syrup ahead of time, but they're still very tasty. Thanks for posting! Made for The Hot Pink Panthers for ZWT9 Family Picks
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice (no pulp, strain if necesary!)
- 4 peaches, ripe
- icing sugar, for dusting
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray eight 1-cup muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Cut each sheet of filo pastry into 8 squares.
- Line each of the 8 muffin tin cups with 3 squares of filo pastry, brushing butter in between each layer and on the top, overlapping the sheets at different angles.
- Combine the almonds, cinnamon, and 1/4 cup brown sugar in a small bowl; sprinkle over each of the 8 pastry cups.
- Top each one with the 3 more squares of pastry, with butter in between each layer and continue to overlap the sheets at different angles.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, dissolve the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar in the orange juice; bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer.
- Halve the peaches and slice thinly (you can peel them or not - your preference).
- Add the peaches to the syrup and stir gently to coat them; simmer for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Remove the pastry "flowers" from the muffin tins, and with a slotted spoon, remove the peaches from the syrup and distribute evenly in the "flowers".
- Drizzle remaining syrup over them; dust with icing sugar.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if you like!