Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I like everything Paula makes!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried herbs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Make sure cheese and butter are room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the cheese and mix until blended.
- Add the flour, salt and red pepper (I used 1/2 tsp) this is when you would add dried herbs if using, mix to form a dough.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm up the dough, then place it in a cookie press, fitted with a ridged tip.
- Pipe the dough in 2 inch strips onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to racks to cool.
- I've discovered these are very tastey using dried herbs also.
- I've made them with dill but can see me making them with thyme and sage before too long.
my christmas crowd was split 50/50 on these some loved them and some really didnt like them. they were very easy to make, I used my cookie press and didnt need to chill the dough before and. I prob wont make them again, I had a lot leftover after our party.
I have made this recipe several times, and just realized that I have never rated it. Great recipe. I make it exactly as directed, except, I use the star plate, which makes more of a straw, and therefore have to adjust the cook time a little. Otherwise, recipe is made exactly as listed. Thanks for posting.
I LOVED these! I did find that I didn't need to chill the dough. When I did chill it, it wouldn't come out of my cookie press. I simply worked it around a bit more and it came out just fine. After I had pressed out a bunch of "straws" I decided to spice it up even more! I ended up adding what was probably about a tablespoon of cayenne to an amount equal to the size of a grapefruit. They are super spicy and perfect for the spice lovers in the house. I enjoyed making this recipe as well. It went together easily. I ended up using black pepper as I couldn't wait until I could find some red pepper. I am on the look out for next time though! Thanks for this great treat.