Recipe by Oolala
From a cookbook that says: This country-style recipe, flavored with garlic, makes a fine accompaniment to many types of entree. Depending on whether you use boiling (waxy) potatoes or baking potatoes, your results will be creamier or fluffier, respectively. Don't be tempted to make this in a food processor-this is one recipe that should be homey and have lots of texture. Cook's tip: For a taste change, substitute other fresh herbs for the rosemary and/or oregano. Parsley and sage are just 2 possibilities.
- 2 lbs boiling potatoes, can use baking potatoes
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, can use white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, scrub potatoes and cut in half.
- Peel garlic.
- Place the potatoes and whole garlic in the boiling water.
- There should be enough water to cover them.
- Boil for about 30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft all the way through when tested with a knife.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a large mixing bowl and remove garlic.
- Set the potato water aside.
- Press or mash the garlic cloves, add to the potatoes, and combine lightly with a potato masher or large fork.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, adding a little hot potato water to adjust consistency, if necessary.