Recipe by echo echo
A Greek sesame candy. I used to make these as a gift years ago before I lost my candy thermometer. Cooking time is really approximate cooling time, but keep watching and be careful not to let candy become hard before cutting into pieces with a sharp knife.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
VERY addicting, you need a sweet tooth for this candy! I made something similar to this years ago but this I think is a better recipe, thanks for sharing echo!...Kitten:)
- 2 cups honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups walnuts or 4 cups pistachios or 4 cups almonds, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup crushed Zwieback Toast Crumbs
- 2 lemons, zest of, grated
- 1 1⁄3 cups toasted sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly oil the surface of a jelly roll pan.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring honey, salt and 1 cup water to a boil and let cook, stirring constantly, until candy thermometer reaches 250°F ("firmball stage").
- Quickly stir in crushed nuts, crushed zwieback and lemon zest and remove from heat.
- Spread honey mixture over the surface of jelly roll pan, forming a rectangle about 1/2" thick.
- Smooth the top with an oiled spatula, sprinkle sesame seeds liberally over the top and use the spatula to press seeds into the surface.
- Let cool a bit, then while still somewhat warm and elastic, cut across with diagonal lines to form strips, then cut the strips into little diamonds.
- Wrap individually in small squares of waxed paper and store in airtight container.