Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 21 mins
One of my favourite cakes, the frosting is so delious.
- 375 g unsalted butter, softened
- 225 g light muscovado sugar
- 175 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 275 g carrots, grated
- 100 g walnuts, chopped
- 125 ml apple juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 apple, cored & grated
- 250 g cream cheese, room temperature
- 10 g unsalted butter, room tempreature
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 250 g icing sugar
- 50 g walnuts, chopped
- 1 orange, zest of
- Preheat the oven to 160c/gas3. Line the base of a springform 8in cake tin with greaseproof paper. With a electronic whisk cream together the butter both types of sugar until light & fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well combined.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients & using a wooden spoon stir them into the creamed mixture.
- In a seperate bowl, combine the carrot, apple & chopped nuts.Stir in the apple juice & vanilla extract, then fold the carrot mixture into the cake mixture.Spoon into the tin & bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour 35 minutes, or until deep golden brown & a stewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, to make the frosting , combine the cream cheese, unsalted butter & orange juice together with a wooden spoon. Gradually incorporate the icing sugar into the mixture, beating well until well combined.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack, then remove from the tin. Place the cake on a serving plate. Using a palette knife, cover evenly with frosting & sprinkle over the chopped nuts & zest.