Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Parsnips are an under used vegetable and they really are delicious. I usually cut out the hard center core but many leave the core in. Season with salt & Pepper.
- 6 medium parsnips, peeled,boiled until tender (Used a bit of salt in the water)
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese (or your favorite)
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2-1 cup milk or 1⁄2-1 cup coffee cream
- 2 slices bacon
- Slice the cooked parsnips lengthwise into 1/3" strips.
- Arrange one layer of parsnips in a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese& breadcrumbs, alternate parsnips with the cheese and crumbs, distribute evenly until the parsnips are all in the baking dish (usually 2-3 layers depending on the size of the parsnip).
- Pour inenough milk (cream) until it reaches half the depth of the parsnips.
- Cut bacon in tiny cubes and sprinkle on top.
- Thirty minutes before dinner pop the casserole into a 400 degree F oven.
- The Dish is ready when the bacon bits are crisp and the dish is bubbling.
Parsnips are just coming into season here now, so no woody cores in mine! I made no changes to this yummy recipe, but I did use fresh breadcrumbs as I had no dried ones and I sliced the parsnips prior to boiling! These were really outstanding (from an already converted parsnip lover)!!
I was having my mother over for dinner and we love parsnips so I (kinda?) doubled this recipe in a 7x11 pyrex pan. I used 2 lbs of parsnips but I swear I lost half of them to the cores!
(I cut them in pieces before cooking and chopped them after to get rid of the cores.) I will totally admit that I kept the doubled amounds of cheese, bread crumbs, and bacon. I also sprinkled each layer with salt and pepper and then sprinkled the top with some onion and garlic powders. The result? I think that this is a parsnip dish even my husband and father would eat! Definitely a keeper and I ate the leftovers for breakfast this morning. :-) Thank you!
I really enjoyed this recipe. I didn't have enough parsnips to make it so I did half carrots and half parsnips and the end result was fabulous. I also admit to using a bit of extra cheese and breadcrumbs. Thank you for such an easy yet tasty recipe! I served it with baked chicken thighs and some other mixed veggies.