Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Looks impressive but pretty easy to make. Don't be tempted to skip the butter as it really finishes the tart.
- 115 g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 parsnips, scrubbed and halved lengthways
- 25 g soft brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 300 g puff pastry
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Heat oven to 200C / 400°F.
- Heat 25g of the butter in a pan and fry the shallots and garlic for 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
- Place the parsnips in the same pan and cook for 5 - 6 mins until golden. Return the shallot mix to the pan and add the sugar, vinegar and lemon juice. Cook for another 8 - 9 minutes until caramelised.
- Meanwhile roll out the pastry and cut a 25cm circle.
- Arrange the cooked parsnip in a 23cm spring form tin cut side up. Pour over any remaining juices. Lay the pastry on top and tuck down the sides.
- Bake for 30 mins until golden. While tart is cooking mix the remaining butter with the cumin and chill.
- Turn the tart out onto a plate and serve topped with the cumin butter.