Recipe by ellie_
I thought this was an interesting way to have parsnips as an appetizer and also as a great subsitute for potato chips. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (January 1986)
Top Review by Sherrie-pie
I tried these just yesterday! I bought them as a curiousity and was surprised how delicious they were. I wondered how to make them and now I know. Thanks Ellie for answering my question before I asked it!
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut parsnips lengthwise into 1/16-inch slices, using a mandoline or knife (a food processor using the slicing disc will also work well). ***If desired the parsnips can be prepared 4 hours ahead before frying - by dropping parsnip slices into a large bowl, covering the parsnip slices with cold water, draining well before continuing.***.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan to 325 - degrees F.
- Add parsnips in batches and fry until limp (30 seconds to 1 minute). Transfer fryed parsnips to paper towels, using a sloted spoon. Continue frying until all parsnips are done.
- Heat oil (a second time) to 375-degrees F.
- Add parsnips in batches and fry until golden and crisp (2 minutes). Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.