Recipe by Nado2003
This is a chow.com recipe. Without any butter or cream to mask them, the sweet flavors of parsnip and cauliflower come through in this easy, comforting side dish. It’s a healthy alternative to the usual mashed potatoes served with braised short ribs or seared lamb chops
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 907.18 g cauliflower, trimmed, stems and florets cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces (about 1 large head)
- 226.79 g parsnips, peeled and cut into large dice (about 2 medium)
- 1 medium garlic clove, smashed
- 9.85 ml kosher salt, plus more as needed
- white pepper
- 354.88 ml whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the cauliflower, parsnips, garlic, measured salt, and pepper to taste and stir to coat with the oil.
- Add the milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are knife tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture, including the liquid, to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment. Process until smooth. Note, instead of getting out the food processor, I just put a stick blender into the pot and whirl until smooth. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed, then transfer to a serving bowl.