This is a simple and great pasta dish. You can cut the butter down to about 1 tablespoon to cut the fat if desired, and not suffer any loss of flavor. From Gourmet magazine, June 1999.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim asparagus and diagonally cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- 2Finely chop shallots.
- 3Finely grate enough lemon zest to measure 1 1/2 teaspoons and squeeze enough juice to measure 3 tablespoons.
- 4Cut salmon into 2 x 1/2-inch strips.
- 5Fill a 6-quart pasta pot three fourths full with salted water and bring to a boil for asparagus and pasta.
- 6Have ready a bowl of ice and cold water.
- 7Cook asparagus in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes, and with a slotted spoon transfer to ice water to stop cooking.
- 8Reserve water in pot over low heat, covered.
- 9Drain asparagus and set aside some asparagus tips for garnish.
- 10In a deep 12-inch heavy skillet cook shallots in butter with salt and pepper to taste over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 11Stir in cream and zest and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- 12Stir in 2 tablespoons lemon juice and remove skillet from heat.
- 13Return water in pot to a boil.
- 14Cook pasta in boiling water, stirring occasionally, until al dente and ladle out and reserve 1 cup pasta water.
- 15Drain pasta in a colander and add to sauce with asparagus, 1/2 cup pasta water, three fourths salmon, remaining tablespoon lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 16Heat mixture over low heat, gently tossing (and adding more remaining pasta water as needed if mixture becomes dry), until just heated through.
- 17Serve pasta garnished with reserved asparagus tips and remaining salmon.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pappardelle in Lemon Cream Sauce W. Asparagus and Smoked Salmon
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 729.4
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 90.5 mg
- Sodium 264.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 24.6 g